Sunday, September 28, 2008

Weekend Trip



Since Friday was a holiday, the staff were going to Carlos Island (30 minutes boat ride from Ebeye) for a retreat. On Friday morning, Mama Rose came to tell us that there wouldn’t be a boat going in the afternoon, so I quickly took a shower and started tossing things in my bright blue bag (towel, clothes, flashlights, bedding) and my backpack. We went to the dock and loaded the boat and set off for Carlos Island. When we arrived at the dock, we unloaded the boats and started bringing our things inland (it was an inhabited island with radar globes for the Army). After looking at the stuff, I concluded that my bright blue bag was not there. I was pretty frustrated because it was at the dock, but it didn’t make it to Carlos. I was wearing my swimsuit to the island, so I did not have any clothes. At night, Mama Rose let me wear one of her muumuus (moo-moo, which is a dress) so that I could have something to wear. Fortunately, I had underwear in my backpack and enough jackets and things to wad up into a pillow to sleep in the tent.
On Sabbath, I took a lot of walks on the beach and collected shells. I took pictures of the island and hung out with the other staff. Sabbath afternoon a boat came with my bright blue bag. I was so glad to have it! I had been praying about it. Somehow it was left at the dock so the taxi driver took it back to the apartment. Sabbath afternoon I went swimming with Lorraine and then we went walking to the end of the island with Emily F. and John Mark. We saw a white sandy beach and figured out a way to get through the jungle to get to it. It was gorgeous! When we finally got back from our shell-finding adventure, it was time for worship. We all shared our favorite Bible verses and sang a few songs. After that, someone said there was a boat going home (it was starting to get dark) with Megan, Landen, and the auditor. I made a split-second decision to go and I grabbed my things and headed to the dock. We could see a storm coming, so we tried to hurry. The boat was going pretty fast since there wasn’t much equipment or people on the boat. It was getting pretty dark as we went along and it started raining. I still had my towel around my neck, so I spread it among Megan, Landen and I so that we could shield our faces from the pelting of the rain. The towel was quickly soaked, as were our things. We were riding for quite a while when the boat slowed to a stop. We looked up and saw an island with only a couple lights on it, which was obviously not Ebeye. The boat driver asked if anyone had a flashlight (hinting that we were lost). I had my flashlight in my bright blue bag so they could find where we were. We started for Ebeye again and it was pouring. We picked up the towel again which was soaked, using it as a shield. After a while, the rain stopped and we looked up to see Ebeye coming up. We were so glad to get to the dock. We were soaking wet and cold standing at the dock waiting for a taxi. I had never been so glad to be on Ebeye before. When we got back to the apartment, we were going to do laundry, but about 30 minutes later the power went out so we went to bed.

No comments: