Thursday, September 4, 2008

Short School Week!!!

So far this week has been good. On Sunday we went to NTA (National Telecommunications Authority) to get reliable internet. I uploaded pictures to MySpace and Facebook. (I need to post the link to my Facebook pictures in my blog.) After NTA, we went swimming off the “coast”. If you look at the picture I have of Ebeye in my blog, we went swimming at the far left side in the picture. After swimming we had a birthday party for Ashlee. She turned 21. We had white cake with pears (that Megan made), and a big chocolate cake made from scratch that Ryan made. The white cake was amazing! From the box, but the pears and glaze were a great touch. Yum! After the party we finished our grading and lesson plans for the short school week.
Monday we had regular classes. It wasn’t much out of the ordinary, other than the power going out. Someone said that the generator blew. Most of us were thinking that the power would be out for several days. We didn’t care too much because that happened a couple weeks ago and we just dealt with it. The power came on that night, so we were definitely glad!
Tuesday was not much out of the ordinary either, but the power was consistent. The eighth graders had been very disruptive on Monday so I made them write down all of my class rules three times. I helped out with the third grade classroom during math time. They are just about the rowdiest children ever! I was trying to help them with adding numbers with four digits by using thousands, hundreds, tens, and ones columns, and some of them just didn’t want to sit down. I wrote a couple problems on the board for them to do and some of them got done rather quickly. Some were poking things into other students, others were wandering around the classroom, and still others were throwing things. What a mess! But they did start to settle down more when I was teaching. Lorraine has a full plate when she teaches those kids. Last week I gave the students a stern lecture about paying attention to “Miss Lorraine.” I think maybe the kids are a little scared of me. Maybe not such a bad thing! I did get another picture from one of the students, Joeylynn, so that was nice.
Yesterday, Wednesday, was the last day before break. It was nice to have such a short day. The kids were very antsy because they were ready to be on break (as were the teachers!). We got out of school and then the power was out so there was no reason to stay at the school. We ate supper at home and then went back to the school for prayer meeting. After prayer meeting we got ice cream from JJJ. I had cookie dough ice cream that was amazing! I might say it is the best I have had, but I don’t know if that is because there is not much of it over here.
Today, we had to be at the school to work on accreditation. We had to do a self-study of the school. As we were going through the questions, we had to laugh at some of them because of how bad the students acted. It was sad and funny at the same time. Ryan brought us cookies with cream inside and soda to help us pass the time. It didn’t take us too long to finish, which was nice. After we finished, I stayed at the school to start an outline for the Yearbook. I am the yearbook editor-in-chief for this year. I wrote down page numbers to get an estimate and guide of how it will go. We have our first school activity, the Yokwe (welcome) Party next Thursday so we need to get a yearbook staff together to take pictures and get organized. I can’t wait to do stuff for yearbook! After I went home, we hung around for a while. I finished reading The Memory Keeper’s Daughter, which was a really good book. We had a late supper potluck at Ryan’s apartment. A guy from Guam, Matt Dodd, came for stewardship seminars this weekend.
That’s the week so far!

2 comments:

Oreste said...

Ciao Emily, che bella che sei.
Un saluto e un bacio da Roma

Claudia said...

Gee, You're tough, you made them write the rules three whole times. That must have taken at least fifteen minutes.