Monday, August 25, 2008

Things I have learned so far...

1. Power is a privilege, NOT a right.
2. Fresh water (and drinking water) is a luxury.
3. You can kill big roaches with flip-flops.
4. When it rains it pours, literally.
5. Little geckos on the wall are “cute”.
6. JJJ (Triple J) isn’t Burger King, but it’s still pretty good.
7. Teachers talk about their students with other teachers. (Who knew?)
8. It’s hard to teach students who don’t really care if they pass high school, much less go to college.
9. Fresh fruits and vegetables are like gold!
10. Food costs twice as much here.
11. Rain can come through the ceiling during a rainstorm, even if there is a floor above you.
12. Rain makes everyone antsy.
13. “I want to go back to Union again…” (I miss it SOOO much!)
14. Most students at the school can sing and harmonize very well—they sound amazing!!
15. Sending emails and MySpace messages between people just isn’t the same as seeing them. L
16. Air Conditioning is a HUGE blessing, but so is a good ocean breeze on a really hot day.
17. To have a textbook for a class: good. To have a teacher’s manual: great. To have enough textbooks for students: amazing. To have a teacher’s manual and enough books for students: priceless. (Appreciate what you have!)
18. The taxis (small trucks) that drive around the island only go clockwise.
19. Kids that live a few blocks away from school will take a taxi to school. (Now that’s lazy.)
20. Cold showers are somewhat refreshing.
21. I REALLY miss my family and friends at home.

2 comments:

Lindsay Buller said...

Hey there girly! I just checked out your blog for the first time! pretty cool! We miss you too...I'm sure you are a very busy girl and feeling kind of hot over there. I remember the feeling! hang in there, and just know that I'm thinking and praying for you. So is Cody...He says hi.
I would love to see some pictures too! I know it is probably hard to load them though. I look forward to seeing some in the future if you are able.
hope your week is going alright...its almost over! Love ya!
Lindsay

Stephen said...

the funny thing is I know exactly what you are talking about. I can totally relate. keep up the good work and keep us updated. My blog is stbaker-ayearforgod.blogspot.com