Saturday, December 27, 2008

Happy Holidays!!

12-25-08
(The internet wasn't working at the school and I couldn't get to the internet cafe until today!)

I have not written a blog in such a long time! I figure that since it is Christmas break and I have time, I should write a blog to update everyone. I don’t really get around much to writing. If you want a more updated and in-depth blog about Ebeye go to my roommate’s blog notanoptiontobeconsidered.blogspot.com. She updates her blog pretty regularly.
The major event in November was a Thanksgiving dinner at the principal’s apartment. It was a potluck style dinner with lots of yummy food. We invited another missionary from another school to join our group. It was nice to have a big gathering so we could spend time together and be thankful for all of the blessings God has given us this year (blessings too numerous to count!).
For most of December I had help from 5th grade boys to decorate my classroom. I made many paper chains and had some of the juniors make paper snowflakes to adorn the otherwise boring classroom. We borrowed decorations from the school and I must say my classroom is the best looking in the entire school! Those boys worked pretty hard, especially one named Jeo (jay-oh) who tried skipping classes to decorate my classroom….
Between November and December there was only one week that was a full week of school. It seemed like each week had a holiday or some kind of an activity happening! It was nice to have long weekends to spend with the other teachers, but most of us felt a little frustrated about not being able to cover as much material as we were hoping. It seemed to work out alright, though, and we are now done with final exams and grades are turned in to the office. Yay!
Last week was the Christmas program. I had been trying to practice “O Come, All Ye Faithful” with the juniors so they would be ready. They can sing pretty well when they are motivated to stay on track to practice. The day of the program some of the juniors were missing so I decided to sing with them. I was going to play the piano for them, but I figured I would sing instead. It was pretty fun being able to sing with a group again. I do miss being in choir. Anyway, the program progressed very well until the sound of sirens and loud music came from down the street. It was the annual Christmas parade where taxis and other vehicles are decorated and people throw candy as they drive around the island loop. It was very distracting to have this going on while the program was still happening, but the program continued. Fortunately, the program was very near completion and the Kindergarten’s rendition of “We Wish You A Merry Christmas” was adorable. My roommate, Ashlee, was videotaping the song and small children kept running past to go outside and watch the parade. It was funny to watch the video last night, seeing blurs go across the screen every few seconds.



Last night we had our staff Christmas party. We had a potluck dinner with very amazing food. I made brownies and garlic bread and I stirred the sauce and spaghetti (how difficult!). After the food we had a gift “exchange”. It was more of a stealing event, but it was pretty hilarious. Each of us drew a number to see in what order we would choose a gift. The person could either get a new present or take one from another person. I got number four, so there was plenty of opportunity for people to steal from me. The first gift I got was a Frisbee with a cute frog shower scrubby thing. Megan ended up taking it from me on her turn. I went to get a new present and what did I find inside? A new frog scrubby thing! It was so funny to get the same thing. After we were all finished with the gift game we split up to play various games. I played Uno with 4 other people. It was pretty fun even though I was doing a terrible job! We stayed until after 11 playing games and then decided it was time for bed.
Now it is time to continue my list of things I have learned on Ebeye (holiday season edition).
1. God is so incredibly good!
2. Holidays are best spent with people you care about, even if they aren’t your family.
3. My mom was right about cleaning the kitchen right after you make a mess—it makes you feel a lot better! (And you don’t get a stain on the counter from drink mix….)
4. My mom really is the coolest.
5. There is so much to be thankful for!
6. I am really going to miss the people that are here with me.
7. While cutting out snowflakes is fun, throwing snowballs would be great right about now….
8. Decorating is really fun. I wish I could decorate more often!
9. Even though I wish I could be with my family for Christmas, I am very glad to be here with the amazing people on Ebeye.
10. Playing with the little kids is a lot of fun.
11. It’s really good to have someone to talk to.
12. I need to practice the piano more when I get home!
13. I really like playing the guitar, even if I don’t sound the greatest yet.
14. It is really nice to have such a close bond with the staff here because it is hard at school (college) with everyone so busy with classes and homework and work.
15. Homemade syrup is yummy. Very yummy….
16. Peanut butter and homemade syrup is super yummy.
17. I really like veggie food. When it comes in a box from home, all of Ebeye rejoices. (Well, at least our apartment.)
18. Quality sleep is an essential key to being a good person. (A key I am missing.)
19. Christmas songs are fun, but you can only handle the Chipmunks for so long….
20. Talking to God everyday is so important. He gives your life purpose and direction when you wonder why you came to a little island called Ebeye.
21. I am sure now, more than ever, that Ebeye is where I am supposed to be.
22. It takes a long time for me to write a blog.
23. People think there is no power on the island if you can’t get online to check your email.
24. If it’s colder and rainy outside it feels a lot more like Christmas at home that when it’s hot and sunny.
25. It seems appropriate to have 25 things on this list since it is December 25.

Merry Christmas everyone! I hope you all have a wonderful time with friends and family wherever you are!
Don’t forget to check out Ashlee’s (my roommate) blog: notanoptiontobeconsidered.blogspot.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww