Friday, October 17, 2008

Hungry and Thirsty

Several of us have been concerned about the elementary students getting enough to eat. Many of them come to school without eating breakfast and we sometimes wonder if they are getting lunch either. The school already has a little store where they sell soup, cookies (more like cookie shaped bread with four chocolate chips on top since they are expensive), frozen ice things, and sometimes candy. The problem is that some kids cannot afford to pay 25 cents for a cup of soup. Ashlee and Lorraine were talking about getting some kind of food program for the 2nd and 3rd grades so that they could get some kind of food. We were discussing this and thought that the students would behave better if they had something in their stomachs. One student, in particular, comes to mind. He behaves poorly (in attitude and class work) at school, which is a reflection of the neglect (I was told) he gets at home. I know that we would not fix the world if we fed the kids a cup of soup per day, but I think they would feel a lot better and might be more willing to learn. The problem is money. The soup is made with rice, coconut milk, salt, seasoning, and chicken (most people are not vegetarian here), which can really add up when things on Ebeye cost sometimes 2x what they would in the U.S. We are still looking into how much it would cost to do a program like this, but we did tell Mama Rose the suggestion. She seemed to think it was a good idea.

I was thinking about my Bible classes the other day and wondering what I could do with them to help them learn. I have brought up Bibles from the library and dispersed them to the students to use during class time. One question from a junior struck me: “Miss, are these for us to take home?” I told the student that the Bible was from the library and that it needed to stay at school. The question got me thinking, though. Do these students have their own Bibles? I don’t know why it hadn’t occurred to me until recently. It seems like it should have come to me earlier. I think that all of the high school students should have their own Bibles. I know the school would like to give them Bibles, but money (again) becomes a factor. Even getting them Marshallese Bibles would be expensive. I would especially like to give Bibles to my juniors (I’m their sponsor). None of them are Adventists, but I think that giving them their own Bible could help them grow as Christians. I would love to do Bible studies with them in class and have them underline favorite verses in their own Bible. I believe that the students of our school are thirsty for the Word of God. If you know of anyone who would be willing to send Bibles to the school on Ebeye, please let me know! I would love to give out Bibles! :)
My address:
Emily Lorenz
Ebeye SDA School
P.O. Box 5070
Ebeye, MH 96970

4 comments:

Caitlyn Brianne said...

Em! I miss you too! I will definitely be praying for you too, thankyou so much for your prayers! I'll be praying about the bible's because it would definitely be an amazing thing for your kids! love you lots!

caiti :) hugs!

Caitlyn Brianne said...

oh and i will be praying about the food situation too! love you!

Anastácio Soberbo said...

Hello, I like the blog.
Sorry not write more, but my English is bad writing.
A hug from Portugal

Heather said...

Emily. You are in my thoughts often as I reflect on my life from last year. Keep living and breathing, even though it can be painful. Keep your eyes open even though it hurts sometimes.

I saw your parents at CA alumni weekend. They miss you.

Keep living out a great story you can tell once you are home.